SIX OB/GYN TIPS FOR THE USMLE EXAMS
– Antenatal corticosteroid therapy has been proven effective in reducing perinatal morbidity and mortality associated with preterm labor. Betamethasone is the best drug for this purpose.
– Abdominal ultrasound is best for diagnosing nephrolithiasis in pregnant patients.
– Low-risk females (ie. having a previously normal smear) with no endocervical cells on smear should undergo a follow-up after 1 year.
– For internal HPV warts, 1st line treatment is trichloroacetic acid. For external warts use podophyllin.
– When shoulder dystocia occurs: 1st – tell patient to stop pushing and re-position the baby, 2nd – attempt McRobert’s maneuver
– Parents have the right to withold or withdraw life-sustaining treatment from their critically ill infant if decision is in the best interest of the child.